SC - dream kitchens

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 10:05:37 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

Stefan asked me:

>But a wood-fired stove??? Why??? Or do you assume it comes with
>someone else to tend the fire? And why an electric stove when
>natural gas is so much more controllable and is instant on/off?

Mainly because I don't like machines and I do like playing with fire. I've
had no trouble tending the fire as well as cooking on such stoves in the
past, so that's unlikely to affect me. It may take more time, but I really
feel much more peaceful and satisfied when I do the entire process myself. I
get a real buzz from providing a meal where I have made everything, even
down to the butter that I used in the sauce, and the wine that went wrong -
oops, sorry, vinegar - and so on.  And there's always someone around who'll
insist on taking the job of firebug off your hands anyway (d**n), just like
my sister keeps her stone flour mill permanently set up on the kitchen
table, for visitors to fiddle with and grind her flour for her, purely
because it amuses them.  Haven't got a mill yet. Hmm. There's a thought...

As to the electric hotplate, well, I do prefer using gas, but at present,
where the gas is not piped and we ran out of bottled gas a couple of weeks
ago, the day after the truck had been past here, we had to do without
cooking for a week.

Cairistiona