SC - questions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 16 22:12:23 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> No. The entire discussion started off because I made a comment on an
> inaccurate statement by AM. My comment was not directed toward methods of
> achieving the goal of more authentic feasts. It was directed at an erroneous
> statement concerning the acceptability of modern foods at feasts.

Excuse me. Are you the author of the following words?

> Or perhaps there really is no black or white but only shades of gray. Why
> must one side be 'right' or the other 'wrong'? Is it not possible that there
> are many ways to achieve the same goals?

How can this possibly be consistent with your statement that AM's advice
to the lady, which mentioned modern foods as _one option_ she could
pursue for her first feast, was appalling (or that you were appalled, I
forget which)? Do you feel the advice was right, but appalling?

> Perhaps
> rereading my original post exactly as I wrote it without reading between the
> lines would help increase your understanding of what was actually said as
> opposed to what you may think was said.

I don't have it, I'm afraid. I'd be happy to reread it if you can
forward it to me in its entirety. I don't think I've been unfair.

> Within the CONTEXT of the thread my statement is correct. To extend it out
> side that thread is not what I meant nor is it appropriate to do so, IMO.

Yes, that would be inappropriate. But that's not what I did. Balthazar
entered the discussion initiated by AM and the lady contemplating her
first feast, added to by you, myself, and Cariadoc, among others. The
topic was whether AM's advice was irresponsible, or whether allowances
could be made (more or less) for new people who may subsequently decide
to improve the quality of their research when they're a little more
comfortable with running a large kitchen. Balthazar felt it was wrong to
try to intimidate someone into approaching the job of running a kitchen
the way you feel it should be done, and while you were addressing AM, I
can't see your comments about not going to events where modern food  is
served as being in the same category. They appeared to be addressed to
the lady AM had addressed (either that or they were irrelevant; AM knows
perfectly well where you stand on this, we all do, the only person who
mightn't be aware of it is the lady doing the feast).

It seemed to me that you were saying AM was wrong, and not long after,
saying Balthazar, who said largely the same thing in support of her
approach, was not. Which is it? Are you Ras, the hard-line zealot, or
Ras, the warm fuzzy liberal? Very difficult to be both in the same
discussion, although the evidence suggests you're trying.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com