SC - kitchen in a krak

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 07:51:53 PDT 2000

Hello again!

Regarding my visit to a krak:

I asked:

><< why would there be a small, very hot room for the
>  open fire?  >>

Ras asked:
>To raise the dough?

Well, it's nice to know we came up with the same suggestion - mine also
included brewing - having carried the vat around the garden in winter trying
to get enough sun into it to get it fermenting, I'd love to have a nice warm
room for that kind of thing, but what kind of use could that room have in
summer, apart from torturing recalcitrant kitchen hands?  Curdling milk for
cheese?

and Margali asked:

>Krak de Chevaliers?

Heck no.  I wish.  No, that'll have to wait until I get a new passport so
the Syrians don't have conniptions at my Israeli visa.

>It could be that they had a light plank roof or a canvas roof, enough to
>keep
>the sun off and any occasional rain, but left mostly open to let the heat
>escape
>up and away from the workers?
>margali

That's quite possible.  There isn't much of the roof left at Belvoir;  the
castle was deliberately made unusable (it was supposed to have been
completely dismantled, but you know what soldiers are like when the CO is
not looking) after the Crusaders were forced to leave.  They held out for 18
months before being undermined, and in honour they were allowed safe passage
_with_ their arms back to Acre.  The castle was supposed to have been
destroyed so that no-one else could use it to hold out again.  Anyway, some
of the living quarters and a storeroom or two have rooves, but nothing else.
  So quite reasonable thought.  Short chimney though - it looks untouched by
the wreckers - wouldn't a roof like that have caught fire?  Maybe not, if
the fires are only in the ovens.

Cairistiona