SC - SC- Semi Precious Stones and Pearls

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 17 22:52:11 PDT 2000

>>>I have put a small bibliography on lapidaries and their history online:
   http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/steinbib.htm
PLEASE, email me your additions and corrections!<<<<

Quite an admirable biliogaphy, Thomas!   I would hardly
call it small though.  You might add the following:

Leonardi, Camilli , Speculum Lapidium, Venetia, 1502.
Cardani, "De subtilitate," Basileae, 1560.
Baccii, Andreae, "Da gemmis et lapidibus pretiosis," Latin trans.
         by Wolfgang Gabellhover, Francofurti, 1603.
Boyle, Roberto, "Specimen de Gemmarum, Origine & Virtutibus,"
         Cologne, 1680.
But most especially:
Kunz, G.F. & Stevenson, C.H.. The Book of the Pearl: the History,
          Art, Science and Industry of the Queen of Gems, Century
         Company, NY, 1908,  Reprinted by Dover, NY, 1993.

George Kunz has several more books, I don't have at hand
for biblio information, but I believe one was titled,
Shakespeare and Precious Stones (1916)
Also check out John Sinkankas for more technical
data on stones.   Kunz and Sinkankas are fairly
acknowledged as the two leading authorities on
gemstones of the twentieth century.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"