SC - grapes

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 05:10:10 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/18/2000 7:27:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> If I remember correctly,
>  this was solved by grafting the tops of American vines that had been
>  previously imported from Europe onto the European root stock. Although
>  maybe I have that reversed.

You have it backward, they used American rootstocks, whatever the pest was it
was underground. I don't know if it was from European varieties exported to
America, I think perhaps it was actually American grape rootstocks, but don't
quote me on this. Of course, since both types of grape had to have had a
common point of origin at some time.....

Corwyn