SC - OT- How do you cook a pig?

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 18:42:01 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/19/00 5:21:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ysabeau at austin.rr.com writes:

> I have some friends who are planning on spit roasting a whole pig for 4th of
>  July. The has been or will be professionally butchered. But aside from
>  running a spit through it and turning it throughout the day, what should
>  they know?  How long do they need to cook it?  How would you season it and
>  what would you baste it with?

I would suggest wrapping the thing in chicken wire to keep it from falling
apart (I've had this happen at a 4th of July event). However, I suppose if it
is trussed properly, that won't be necessary.   I might also suggest a simple
seasoning of salt and pepper to begin with, and then about two hours before
it's done, start ladling on a baste of apricot jam thinned down with white
wine,  You don't want it to "stick" to the pig like jelly, but rather make it
thin enough so that it evenly coats the skin.  It makes for a nice,
crispy-sweet flavor and texture.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?