SC - Columbus' chilies

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Jun 21 20:57:44 PDT 2000

> Was slavery still going on from within Europe as late as the 17th and
> 18th centuries? I thought that it had pretty much stopped even from
> Eastern Europe well before then.

Well, the last mention of slaves in Silesia appears to be in the late
thirteenth century; but the Domostroi (Rus, late 16th-Early 17th century
depending on which bit you are reading) talks about slaves  and the
master's responsibility toward them... I'm not sure when slavery was
abolished in Russia, but I would guess post-period.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"