SC - Re: Kuskenole, a question

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 17:42:49 PDT 2000

Adamantius writes:

(Major snip)

>  > >Also that
>  > >the illustration in 46919, presumably copied accurately for Curye On
>  > >Inglysh, looks suspiciously like the illustration from a completely
>  > >different recipe in the earlier source... .

(Snip)

>  One (the 3x3) is
>  clearly not in the proportions stated in the recipe, _unless_ it
>  represents a single unit with the sheet of pastry folded in half over
>  the filling. The other (the 3x5) does seem to be in proportion to the
>  hand (or palm) and a half by three fingers, but it also bears more
>  resemblance to the illustration in the cressee recipe (in 32085) than it
>  does to
>  the kuskenole recipe (in 32085). I would not be at all surprised if some
>  transposition and omission, as described by Rudolf Grewe in connection
>  with copied manuscripts of the Harpestrang cookbook, has taken place,
>  and that what we are seeing is
>  the cressee illustration, or some variant thereof.

(Snip)

>  The later one is conceivably
>  based on an unknown version earlier than either manuscript, and could
>  conceivably be the "correct", canonical version, but we have no real
>  evidence of that, and when combined with the fact that it looks rather
>  like the drawing for the earlier cressee recipe, it seems quite possible
>  it is an error.
>
>  > I eagerly await your redaction of
>  > cressee--lasagna perhaps?

What is the cressee recipe?  What medieval recipe collection is it in?   Is
there really an illustration that goes with it?  Where can I find this
source?  I'd be interested in seeing this material.

Rudd Rayfield

P. S.  I have my own opinions as to what Cuskynoles look like, but I promise
I'll never tell.