SC - Honeycomb (confectionary) - question to the list

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sat Jun 24 08:39:39 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Lars

> My hubby says they are a whipped honeycomb
> center...very, very light, with chocolate poured over.

Honeycomb is not whipped anything (as far as I am aware, at any rate).  It
is the added bicarbonate of soda which causes the honeycomb effect.  Here is
a recipe (which I have not tried) for:

Honeycomb Toffee
6 oz granulated sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

Put the sugar, honey, syrup and water in a large saucepan and dissolve over
low heat, stirring occasionally.  When the sugar had dissolved, bring to the
boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 12-15 minutes to 310 F/154 C (hard
crack).  Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda.  The
toffee will then froth and form a honeycomb.  Pour into a greased tin and
when cold, break into pieces.
Note:  Be sure to use a thick saucepan or the syrup may overheat and burn.

And here is a second recipe for the same idea (but it should be softer -
perhaps chewier):

Honeycomb
1 oz butter
6 oz granulated sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon malt vinegar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Put the butter, sugar, syrup and water into a heavy saucepan and stir over a
low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Boil to 280 F/140 C (soft crack).
Take off the heat and stir in the vinegar and the bicarbonate of soda.  The
mixture will rise up in a froth in the pan.  Pour at once into a greased
tin.  Break into pieces when cold.  Eat quickly because this toffee does not
keep well.

Enjoy,
Gwynydd (who is now thinking how easy these look and wondering if she can
find the time to make them)