SC - The truth about Green Beans Savory

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Jun 23 10:53:02 PDT 2000

The truth about Green Beans Savory

For many years, there has been a dish served at Meridian events that has
delighted many, called Green Beans Savory.  A lady from our southern
shores, Countess Gilrean Derrilyn, served this first at one of her
feasts, and made it with brie, butter, cream cheese, and green beans.
The non-bean ingredients are squooshed together in ziploc bags,
typically, and then added to just-heated green beans.  Very tasty.
Another lady from the southern part of our kingdom, Countess Rhiannon of
the Isle, disliked brie, and so she started making this with cheddar
instead. (Producing a much greasier version, but loved by the populace
nonetheless.)  The cheddar version survives to this day as an
always-seen-item at any covered trencher occasion.  (I have been known to
make it at home, its that pervasive.)
The dish Savory Toasted Cheese was unknown to me or to feasts in this
area until I started reading about it on this list some years ago.
Tasty, I said to myself, that would be a nice change.  In teaching about
period foods, we have been trying to get across the idea that green beans
were not, and that Green Beans Savory notwithstanding, they were a New
World Food. (TM)  Recently on our Baronial list, the subject of GBS came
up (someone saw it last Sunday at a do and asked for the recipe) and
Gilrean had the opportunity to comment on the fellow's version of the
recipe with the cheddar, as the change had always griped her.  I made use
of the occasion to bring up the green bean issue, including a copy of the
original recipe from Digby, asking if this was the version she had first
used.  When her answer came back, I was astounded to read:

And just so you know, the green beans we're using aren't period, they're
 New World.  In fact, if it is from the recipe below, the original calls
 for asparagus.  Is this the original you used, Gil?
 Christianna

    Actually, the version I used came from Cariadoc's mouth, rather than
from
the book.  While in Axemoor visiting his then-fiancee, Elizabeth, we were

discussing cooking during a private dinner.  He was the one who suggested

green beans, due to the high cost of asparagus, and the fact that more
people
seem to like green beans than asparagus.

    Gilraen

OH MY GOD!! GREEN BEANS SAVORY CAME FROM CARIADOC!!!
I have to admit, I was a little shaken.  He has feet of clay, I said to
myself.
It was a long time ago, I add.   Tara emailed me privately and said "Can
you believe it?".   Well, we will get over the shock, and I believe I
will try encouraging asparagus as an alternative to green beans, and see
how that goes over.  In the mean time, I will contemplate how casual
comments made by myself and others can have far-reaching ripples of
influence, and be awed.
Christianna