SC - 'lightly fizzy' drink?'

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 01:29:24 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/23/00 4:50:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

> Couldn't a stoneware bottle, or even a very well made leather bottle,
>  hold up to the pressure of a 'lightly fizzy' drink?  You would want to
>  leave more room at the top of the bottle, perhaps.

Actually, leaving a larger air gap would increase the pressure (more C02).

 The practice of
>  banding wooden casks with iron bands ought to make a pretty strong
>  container.  Don't know when that began, but the name 'Cooper' is a period
>  last name.

It's not that the barrels would bust, but rather, the gas would seep out
through the cracks under high pressure.

>  In addition, if the fizzy mead was made at home, stored for ripening in
>  an open vat, and then served to Digby's guests at his home, it could have
>  been made long before Digby was born.

If it was kept in an open vat, I don't think it would have been "fizzy".
"Fuzzy", maybe...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?