SC - Re: Apicius redux

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Jun 25 12:50:07 PDT 2000

> If you have Ilaria Giacosa's book, be careful with using her
> recipes,  ...  Sally Grainger has a book with Andrew Dalby...   a copy
of Flower and Rosenbaum, ...
> Hauviette

Actually, I was using a photocopied cookbook from a one-time queen of
Meridies, ("Caitlin's Cookbook") and all of the recipes were in her
handwriting, with absolutely no hint of origins on any of the pages.  I
recognize one of them from time to time as I read period sources, or more
commonly secondary sources (old ones, I've had this since the early
'80's)  and some of them are right on, many have been changed one way or
the other, and many were never period to begin with.  Still, it was a
good source for me then, and it is like a scavenger hunt when I find
something that I originally knew from it.
Sala cattabia was one of those, and I loved it.
Christianna