SC - sauce makings-OOP (longish)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jun 26 17:52:46 PDT 2000

Hah! Professionals! Me no need professionals! Me have copy of _Joy of
Cooking_! <g>
>From p. 324:	"Veloute Sauce or Sauce Blanche." Makes 1.5 cups.  "This is
a white cream sauce made from a roux and stock base.  The stock may be
chicken, veal or fish, depending on the dish the sauce is to
accompany....Melt in the top of a double boiler 2 T butter, and stir in
2 T flour.  When blended, add gradually: 2 cups chicken, veal or fish
stock, and stir over low heat until well combined and thickened.  Add:
.25 c mushroom peelings.  Place in the double boiler and simmer
over--not in--hot water for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Strain
through a fine sieve, then add: A pinch of nutmeg.  Correct the
seasoning and stir occasionally during the cooling process to prevent a
crust from forming."

>From further down the same page....: "Allemande sauce or thickened
veloute." Makes 1.5 cups.  This is an enriched Veloute Sauce, to be used
with poached chicken or vegetables.  Do not let this sauce boil or it
will curdle.
Prepare:
1.5 cups veloute sauce, above
Stir in:
0.75 cup strong chicken stock
Blend well and reduce on medium heat to 0.667 of its original volume.
Remove from heat and add:
1 egg yolk mixed with 2 T cream.
Stir the sauce until it is slightly thickened.  Just before serving,
stir in:
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. butter."

Enjoy!