SC - hypoglycaemia

phlip at morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jun 27 06:41:01 PDT 2000

Keep in mind, folks, that the numbers given in medical books for
consumption by the general public are averages, NOT absolute values
that means you're gonna die if you deviate from them.

As an example, "Normal" BP is 120/80- mine is usually 110/70, although
that will vary a bit, up or down, depending on what's going on.

Several years ago, when I was doing my hospital hours for my EMT
training, they had just gotten a new glycometer in the ER, and I
volunteered to let them check my sugar levels, since I knew what they
should be, having tested them several times across several weeks,
learning about dealing with a friend's diabetes. They were very
concerned when I tested out at about 50, until I was able to tell them
that that was my normal range, considering I hadn't eaten yet that day
(it was 4 PM), and I felt fine. No, I'm not hypoglycemic- I've been
checked- it's just that my norms are different than most people's, in
this and other matters.

If you feel bad, see a Doctor. If you don't think s/he's helping, see
another one- don't play with your health. Follow their instructions-
they may make mistakes, but they'll usually keep you on the right
track.

Learn your usual numbers, and check them when you can. That way, YOU
know when you are deviating from your norms.

And, if you have friends with problems, try to learn what you can
about their problems, at least enough that you can tell the squad, and
find their meds to send along.

Phlip