SC - hypoglycaemia

Donna Ford evfemia at mail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:16:47 PDT 2000

Elysant at aol.com wrote:

> -Poster: Elysant at AOL.com>
>
> > << A prolonged
> >  hypoglycemic episode can cause heart and  organic brain damage.
> >   >>

> > A prolonged hypoglycemic epiosde can cause death.

Evfemia here.  The below comment from Elysant exactly states my
knowledge and experience of hypoglycemia.  I was speaking of primary
hypoglycemia, not at all related to diabetes or insulin shock, when I
stated that I did not know of any serious side effects of hypoglycemia.

To my knowledge a person with primary hypoglycemia, (not brought on by
diabetes or insulin shock) will be able to stabilize their blood sugar
on their own eventually.  Obviously reactions such as sweating, shaking,
slurred speech, confusion, etc can occur before the body is able to
stabilize itself.  But a primary hypoglycemic's body should be able to
stabilize it's own blood sugar without SERIOUS side effects from my
experience and research, whereas someone who is diabetic can have a low
blood sugar episode brought on by an overdose of insulin, for example,
and can most certainly die or have other serious complications because a
diabetic, or someone with hyperglycemia, cannot stabilize their blood
sugar on their own.  That's why they take insulin.  However an overdose
can cause the blood sugar to drop dangerously with no way to stop it
without the introduction of more sugar into that hyperglycemic
person's body.  There may also be medications that could stop this.  I
don't know as I am hypoglycemic not hyperglycemic.  Diabetes is not my
field of expertise since I don't have it.

Evfemia at mail.com
Barony of Iron Mountain