SC - OT - Ticks at Lilies (fwd)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 27 21:00:39 PDT 2000

Prydwen said:
> This looked like it needed to be forwarded...

And passed on a message about the ticks at the recent Lillies War possibly
carrying Lyme disease.

This is an article that I got a number of years ago, probably before
Lyme disease became a known problem. But I think the information and
precautions in this article might be of use at any SCA camping event
where ticks are suspected to be around. This is now in the SCA-CAMPING
section of the Florilegium:
ticks-art          (9K)  1/24/92    Article on tick prevention.

The Pennsic area is known to have ticks carrying Lyme disease. For
myself, I have had the first two of the three vacinations needed to
provide some immunity. Even then, the coverage is at best only 80 percent
and there are currently some concerns about the vaccine causing problems.
But it might be worth consulting your doctor about getting this.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net