SC - Re: grape must

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 16:46:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/28/00 5:18:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Ok.  I am still very much interested in getting at least one, maybe 2 of the
>  bottles you describe, depending on what others want.
>
>  I've got another question, however.  I just contacted a local source for
> brewing
>  supplies, Maryland Homebrew.  They tell me that they sell must as a kind of
>  concentrate to which yeast and water are added as the first step in making
> wine.
>  Is this what I need for the mustard, which I would then boil down to
> concentrate
>  even more?  If so, any suggestions as to a specific type of must...I know
it
>  should be grape, and, given the fact that the mustard is "red", I would
> assume a
>  red wine...but should I go for a particular type of red?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Kiri

What they are offering you is a "KIT" to make wine. You want the must without
the other ingredients to get sappa (IMO).

The type that I have found that best fits the descriptions of ancient wines
is Valpolicella. The specific grape is vitis vinifera, an ancient grape known
in Europe. There are other grapes that are period, I don't have time to post
them but there is a good website out there on wines. We are heading out to
the fireworks (biggest display in N.A. is the claim) so I can post tomorrow
if you need more info still.

Hauviette