SC - Medieval Danish cooking???

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Jun 30 01:03:27 PDT 2000

Bogdan wrote:

>I found the following when looking under medieval cookery, but I don't do
>Danish, and so can't make sense of it...
>
>             Author: Harpestrng, Henrik, d. 1244.
>                Title: Gamle danske urtebger, stenbger og kogebger /
>                           Harpestrng ; udgivne for Universitets-Jubilts
>            Published: Kbenhavn : H. H. Thieles bogtrykkeri, 1908-1920.
>               Format: cii, 326 p. : facsims. ; 24 cm.
>              Subject: Herbs--Therapeutic use
>                       Cookery, Danish
>           Other Name: Macer Floridus. De viribus herbarum.
>                       Marbode, Bishop of Rennes, 1035?-1123.

The title means: Old Danish herbals, minerals and cookbooks. No, minerals is
probably all wrong but I can´t remember the correct English term - the
literal translation of "stenbøger" would be "stone books". The cookbooks are
the two Danish manuscripts I´ve been translating some recipes from (the
"Harpestreng-manuscript"), but it does not include the Icelandic
manuscript.. I believe Stefan has a Harpestreng-file in the Florilegium.

Nanna