SC - Coleman oven

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jun 1 20:13:47 PDT 2000

allilyn at juno.com wrote:

> >>. The only problem she seems to incur was
> uneven heating on the horizontal plane (one side/edge of the Torta was
> well browned while the other was just cooked). We were discussing how to
> even the heat out, like augmenting the diffuser in the base, or adding
> stone/brick to absorb the heat and radiate it evenly.>>
>
> Was the barely cooked side on the side of the oven the breeze/wind hit?
> If so, the heat was being blown past the torta, giving too much to the
> side that over-browned.  A large wind screen might help, as well as the
> aluminum foil wrap for the corners that (Brandu?) suggested.  Seumas, can
> you make a wind screen from sheets of aluminum, possible hinged for easy
> transport?
> Possibly, the over-browned side was next to another burner that was on,
> giving doubled heat to the oven on one side.

I was too dark/burnt along the back, up against the baffles. Maybe the
front of the flame was lower? I don't know- when the box is on the stove
you can barely see the flame.

What I _really_ want is to build a kitchen/sideboard thing that looks
like the sideboard and hutch that you see in feast scenes in the 15th
c., off to the side with plates on the shelves. Storage below, shelves
above, maybe a false top to set the stove into. Linenfold panelling
along the back. That would look better that the rolling thing I have
now, and keep the wind out better. But it would be big and trandport
would be an issue... *sigh*. But I can dream, can't I?

'Lainie