SC - Small Beer?

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Jun 2 06:20:15 PDT 2000

> Nope, the recipe very specifically states Fleishman's, and now that I
> went back looking for it, guess who posted it?
> Christianna
<snippo>
> It's two cups of sugar. And it's also a good idea to use just plain old
> Fleishman's Baking Yeast. I tried making it with Champagne yeast and it
> came out bitter.
>
> Glad you like the recipe.

POPPA!!!  Poppa said this?
Poppa,
I think judging all brewing/vintning yeasts by champagne is a bit
premature...

"Premier cuvee" yeast, which I suggested is a "sweeter" yeast than
Champagne, which is a very specialized yeast designed to ferment
out as dry as possible, so it is used for dry and high alcohol wines.
Champagne is also not able to use table sugar very well, and so has
to produce more enzymes to breake sucrose into simple sugars, and
these enzymes add bitterness.
Premier cuvee is the one that seems to get distributed with those
"make your own soda" kits that use Table sugar, and is the one that
is frequently sent in most of the "sweet" wine kits, like "raspberry merlot".

That is why I recommended it fo rthis purpose.
I think you should at least give it a try.

brandu