SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Tue Jun 6 00:12:30 PDT 2000

64. seicht-a. shallow, flat, superficial.         Can't tell if you've
typed i or l, but there is no selcht in my dictionary.  Going the other
way, from 'chop', there is nothing comparable.
shallow/flat lamb?  lamb cutlets?

 auff Welsch gemacht          doesn't necessarily refer to the country of
Wales--means stranger--a foreign style  Since this is a foreign recipe,
might they be referring to a Spanish sausage, or some other imported
saugage?

Wasserrueben        we've seen skirrets referred to as the roots of the
water parsnip in  Cariadoc's Miscelleny.  Might be something like this.

11. Feldhuhn is a partridge.  Since Rebhuhn is also a partridge, we've
got a variation of partridges, here.  hen/cock?  adult/yearling?
grey/brown?

40. Gebraten Jndianischer Han   There's some thought that the guinea hen
imported from Turkey could be meant by some early references to turkey,
before our American turkey might become popular.

69. Muscatenblu:et.
69. Nutmeg blossom.  I read this as mace.  Mace grows on the outside of
the nutmeg, under its shell--a sort of twining tendril.

so now BEMELT mixed  together/ that it does not all come in a pile
could he want us to flour them, [mehl] so that they stay a little
separate, as you flour the candied fruit before stirring it into
fruitcake batter?

 zettelweiß   wild guess here: how about zeitweise--timely, from time to
time  adding things one at a time, perhaps?

a burned flour (roux???)      how about 'browned flour', to color the
broth/gravy

it is good for kings and emperors/ for earls and lords to serve.
Hoo-boy, I'm not making this one just for a lord!  You *better* be a king
or emperor!

I'm looking at this and thinking of all the different textures you'd get,
as well as tastes, with some of the meats half-roasted, and some simmered
or braised.

Good job, Gwen.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com