SC - Kvas

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 6 04:52:00 PDT 2000

I discussed this recipe last night with my lord, who is a much more experienced
and accomplished brewer...and coincidentally bakes wonderful breads.  He said
that the bread that is included in most of the kvass recipes is the additional
source of yeast for the fermentation.  Of course, that's not to say that the
raisins are there for the same purpose.  What I remember of the kvass I drank in
Russia is that it had a slightly fruity taste, which could have been the result
of the addition of the raisins.

Kiri