SC - RE: kvas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 6 22:45:15 PDT 2000

Yana replied to me:
> >I hadn't realized I had directions already
> >on how to use it. I imagine they are on the can anyway.
>
> They are...in Russian.  :-)  The recipe on my jar of kvas concentrate does
> not call for raisins, incidentally (Anya's directions do).

Sigh. I guess I should have thought of this. This is a real import then.
I guess I was thinking it might be produced in the US by/for Russian
immigrants.

This language problem also turned out to be significant at the last
two ethnic groceries I visited here. Not only did most of the cans
and bottles have their labels in a foreign language, but a number
were in a foreign script as well. Luckily some had labels in
multiple languages and some had added labels in English. But many
didn't and it would have been nice to have tried some of these.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net