SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation / Zurwenada

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Wed Jun 7 16:49:21 PDT 2000

<< "... I knew I had seen the reference to Karwenada/Zirwenada being a
sausage somewhere, ..."

You might take a look at Italian cervallato, which conveniently appears
in Sabina Welserin's recipe book under the name Zervelat, IIRC.
Could it be we have a winner??? >>

Let me add two further points here:

- -- "Karwenada"/"Karbenada"/"Carwenada" is something different from
"Zirwenada/Zurwonada". What Rumpolt calls "Zurwonada" etc. is a type of
sausage. What he calls "Karwenade" etc. seems to refer firstly to a
certain type of meat (roast joint? rib? cutlet? meat from the back?) and
secondly to a certain type of preparation of this meat ("Vnd die Speiß
nennt man Carwenada"; #66 in the ox section).

- -- I have no evidence up to now whether or not "Zurwonada" and its
variants belong to Italian "cervellato". Let me mention two conflicting
positions:
+ Hopf, in her dictionary, treats "cervelat, ... welsche wurst,
zerbenade, zirwenade(wurst), zurwonada" in one entry; but she gives no
reasons, no explanation, no supporting references for doing so.
+ Wiswe, in his "Kulturgeschichte der Kochkunst", treats "Cervelat" and
"Zurwenada" as two things; he too gives no reasons.

At first sight, the preparation of the "zerwulawirstlach" (little
cervelat sausages; #24) in Sabina Welser seems to be similar to the two
descriptions of the preparation of Zurwenada in Rumpolt (VIIa [this one
is online in the ox-section]; XLIIa); but there are differences too.

For the moment, I would prefer a translation for the "Zirwonada auff
Welsch gemacht" like "Zirwonada sausage prepared in an Italian style"
together with a note that mentions (or quotes/translates) the two
descriptions of Zurwanada/Zurwonada in Rumpolt and their possible
relations to Zervelatwurst (saveloy?).

Just an opinion & more later.

Thomas