SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation / Zurwenada

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 7 22:23:17 PDT 2000

Adamantius said:
> When I hear "Karwenade", the first thing I think of is Gervase Markham's
> (and other authors') description of Carbonadoes, which is described as a
> French dish/process involving the quick broiling of certain meats,
> poultry, etc., ranging from raw beefsteaks to boiled tongue or pigs'
> feet. The linking factor is the cooking process, which seems to involve
> a vertical iron plate from which protude numerous little spikes or
> hooks. The meat is hung on the points of the plate, and the plate itself
> absorbs heat from the fire and radiates it back onto the side of the
> meat that isn't facing the fire. The meat is then served with a fairly
> typical sharp sauce made from vinegar and/or citrus juice, salt and
> pepper, and butter as a thickener. Renaissance beurre blanc, or
> something along those lines.

For those who think these carbonadoes sound interesting and want more
details and missed or have forgotten the discussion early in the days
of this list, you might want to look at this file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium:
Carbonadoes-art   (14K)  6/19/97    "Carbonadoes" by Adamantius. A
medieval
                                       "barbecued" meat dish.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net