SC - Help!!!

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Fri Jun 9 05:01:05 PDT 2000

Gwynydd wrote:

>Umm, I feel really bad saying this, but I have a nasty feeling that "Scotch
>Eggs" are neither Scottish nor Period.  (The first is from a quick wander
>through the Florigieum, the second is something which one of the cooks on
>this List said to me - she suggested that they are 17th or 18th century.

According to John Ayto, that is probably correct:
"The Scotch egg - a hard-boiled egg enveloped in sausage meat and then
fried - appeared on the scene at the beginning of the nineteenth century,
although whether as a new invention or simply as a wider dissemination of an
ancient tratitional dish is not altogether clear. The first known printed
recipe for it appears in M.E. Rundell´s New System of Domestic Cookery
(1809)."  (A Gourmet´s Guide). Alan Davidson supports this and adds that the
Scotch egg may possibly be a descendant of a form of Indian kofta. The
recipe first appeared in a Scottish recipe book in 1826.

Nanna