SC - Help!!! Oatcake recipe-long

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 9 12:27:19 PDT 2000

At 10:38 AM -0700 6/9/00, pat fee wrote:
>  My recipe for oat cakes calls for butter and long pepper.
>
>  The one I use weekly is a slightly modern addaptation of the original.
>
>  Original (translated)
>
>  32 oz ground scotts oatmeal or 1 box rolled oats ground in a blender.
>   8 oz melted butter or enough to give the dough some "body"
>   2 long pepper ground in a pestle and morter
>   Enough water to moisten.
>
>   Mix the oats with  long pepper and enough butter to form lumps.
>   slowely add cold water until dough holds togather (sort of like pie crust).
>  Cover a bread board with a hand full of the ground oats and roll
>the dough out into 8" circles.  Place a scant handfull of the ground
>oats on a  hot gridle. Carefully place the oat cake on the oats.
>Bake untill dry and "crumbly" on the edges and dry and lightly
>browned on the bottom.  Cut into 8 wedges.
>
>  This recipe is from my family cook book.  The measurements are what
>is modern and have been worked out over time.

It's been a while, but my memory is that you said the family cookbook
contained recipes written over a substantial period of time. Do you
know what the date of this one is? And when you say "translated" do
you mean that "ground scotts oatmeal ...." is a substitute for some
other term in the original? Or was the original in Scots Gaelic
rather than the Scottish dialect of English?

Also, am I right in assuming that you are putting it on a griddle but
baking in an oven?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/