SC - German Elizabethan???

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri Jun 9 18:21:23 PDT 2000

>>Right....Germany in the time of Elizabeth. Late 1600's.<<

I think the term you are looking for is 'German Renaissance', and you
could look for some good recipes in Gwen-cat's English translation of
Rumpolt.  While you may not be up for the ' 90 ingredients Holloptrida' ,
there are other good recipes.  Her meatballs were a great sucess at last
fall Crown.

And, you could have turkey dumplings in turkey soup.  She's proved it!
Take a look at her darling 'hedgehogs', too:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_asentry.htm

In addition, if you don't find what you need there--it's a work in
progress--post me and I will check a German cookbook I now have that is a
sort of Taste of Pottage, or Medieval Kitchen, by Trude Ehlert.  There
are modern redactions, which I could translate.  I haven't had this long
enough to test the recipes, but Thomas thinks very highly of Ehlert.  She
also gives an abbreviated version of our Olla Potrida.  While she uses
some of the manuscripts that Thomas has listed, she doesn't always say
where a recipe comes from.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com