SC - quenelles again...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jun 9 22:08:22 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor asked:
> On the same topic, does anyone have any idea
> as to what period scribes used to make yellow pigment for their paints/inks?
> I have had some success with a few other colors, but yellow is hard for me to
> find.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am seriously considering using
> saffron at the moment, because the yello tempera I have is way too bright.

You might try this file in the CRAFTS section of my Florilegium:
pigments-msg      (48K)  6/ 3/99    Period pigments. Modern sources. Safety.

It is possible that your knowledge already surpasses what is in this
file, but
perhaps it will have something useful. I do hope it is more useful than
my pointer to the parchment-msg file. I had not heard this about
Balderik. I
hope he hasn't stopped permenently. I've never had the opportunity to meet
him in person, but he has always been helpful to those who asked about
parchment. I was hoping I could help both of you out.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net