SC - OT - Pseudo-Medievaloid Cookery Saves the Day

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 12 20:49:26 PDT 2000

Adamantius replied to me:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Interesting. Might be good with some peaches or such in it too. Please
> > let us know how it turned out. Was the seasoning mix enough? I might
> > want to try this sometime myself. But I think I will use one of the
> > regular hand-crank or electric ice cream freezers.
>
> Peaches? Maybe, but I suspect the thing to do might be to eat it with
> wafers. Not necessarily rolled while hot into a cone, but you know --

Yes, the wafers might be good. I haven't tried the snow recipes given
in the wafer thread. Maybe because they weren't redacted, I can't
remember. But I can probably make ice cream.

> Upon actually eating the stuff frozen, I think I'd up the sugar to 4
> Tablespoons, and the hippocras powder, to two, possibly two-point-five,
> Tablespoons. It didn't s*ck, though, and it was pretty mind-bogglingly
> rich. The recipe made about three cups, which I suspect would serve four
> or more.

Thanks.

> I'm sure it would be easier to use a regular ice cream freezer, but I
> find that there's a corollary between the labor saved by complex
> machinery and the time required to take them apart and wash them.
> Besides, I don't have such a machine, but I did have nesting
> stainless-steel mixing bowls (not even the best heat conductors in any
> case) and lots of ice, so I figured, what the hey.

Please don't take my comments on you not using the regular ice cream
freezer as a criticism. It wasn't.  I admire your persistance. Since
our ice maker is erratic, I'll probably have to go buy some ice. However,
my mother has the wooden tub'ed hand-cranked unit my family used to use.
With three sons, they didn't see any reason to buy an electric one. And
my mother-in-law has one of the plastic-tub electric ones. For the
last family get together my sister-in-law made a cantaloupe ice cream
which was surprisingly good, especially since I don't like the fresh
cantaloupes. So I think I'll keep this hypocras ice cream in mind.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net