SC - Help!!! translation garbage

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 12 21:33:36 PDT 2000

> In a message dated 6/10/00 3:51:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
> writes:
>
> << Now that Stefan knows what it is, we all have to be careful, using our
>  copy and paste shortcuts, to go thru our posts before sending them, and
>  deleting the special characters, replacing them with e-mail composition
>  plain characters.  People, please do this!  >>
>
> Another alternative would be to simply install the font necessary to read the
> special characters. You need only copy it from the Word area and paste it
> into the fonts folder. Then your computer will read it correctly even when
> e-mail is read thus relieving those who choose to share recipes from the
> burden of increasing their workload to comply with the systems of the least
> common denominator.
>
> Just a thought......
>
> Ras

Except for those messages that I would like to add to the Florilegium.
Somehow, I think requiring specific fonts to be installed before folks
can visit the Florilegium would really cut down it's usefulness and appeal.

On top of this, getting and installing those particular fonts may be
rather difficult for those people running on early PCs, Amigas, Commodore
64s, Unix boxes etc. And how many different fonts would be needed for
all the deviations from the standard ASCII fonts? The Norse one, the
Arabic one? the...

I'm trying to make the files useable by all, which is why I keep
three formats of each file online and try to keep the formats simple
without elaborate formatting. I guess I could use neat features and
not worry about anybody that doesn't have an Apple Mac and Netscape
being able to read them...

Of course, I guess you could just say Stefan should replace all the
unusual characters as he edits the files. Well, he does when he sees
them and when he knows what they are supposed to be. Sometimes he
has to email the original poster and bother them. Sometimes he just
says the message or recipe isn't worth it and drops it because of
time preasures. :-(

I will look on the Word disk and see if these fonts are there on
the Mac version. But if I do this, then I won't see the characters
are unusual and they difinitely won't get fixed before it gets
posted to the web.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net