SC - questions

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Jun 14 13:18:18 PDT 2000

<snip> Does anyone have, or have seen, any manor house or castle
>inventories in which quantities of meats and game birds jumped anywhere near
>these levels in actual history?  That would be a better indication of how
>much food was actually (rather than theoretically) served at a feast.  I am
>not, at present, prepared to believe that the Du Fait referrence is an actual
>account of feast preparations.
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

Here you are.  This is the only shopping list I've got typed in.  I think
there is another in Le Menagier.

Cariadoc asked earlier about preserving small birds till the day of the
feast.  If memory serves, there is a passage in the Swiss Family Robinson
in which they catch thousands of pigeons & parcook them & seal them in
barrels of fat for the winter.

Harleian MS. 4016

This is the purveyance made for King Richard, who was with the Duke of
Lancaster at the Bishop's place of Durham at London, the 23rd day of
September, in the 12th year of the king's reign. [A.D. 1387.]

The shopping list:
Xiiij. oxen lying in salte.	14 salted oxen
IJ. oxen ffreyssh.		2 fresh oxen
Vixx. hedes of shepe fressh.	6 score (120) fresh sheep heads
Vixx. carcas of shepe fressh.	6 score (120) fresh sheep carcasses
Xij. Bores.			12 Boars
Xiiij. Calvys.			14 Calves
Cxl. pigges.			140 pigs
CCC. maribones.			300 marrowbones
Of larde and grece, ynogh.	Of lard & grease, enough
IIJ. ton of salt veneson.	3 tuns of salted venison
IIJ. does of ffressh veneson.	3 does of fresh venison
The poultry:
L. Swannes.			50 Swans
CCx. Gees.			210 Geese
L. capons of hie grece.		50 fat capons
Viii. dussen o[th]er capons.	8 dozen other capons
Lx. dd Hennes.			60 dozen Hens
CC. copull Conyngges.		200 couple Coneys
IIIJ. Fesauntes.		4 Pheasants
V. Herons and Bitores.		5 Herons & Bitterns
Vi. kiddes.			6 kids
V. disson pullayn for Gely.	5 dozen pullets for Jelly
Xij. dd. to roste.		12 dozen [pullets] to roast
C. dd. peions.			100 dozen pigeons
Xij. dd. partrych.		12 dozen partridges
Viij. dd. Rabettes.		8 dozen Rabbits
X. dosen Curlewes.		10 dozen Curlews
Xij. dosen Brewes.		10 dozen Brewes
Xij. Cranes.			12 Cranes
Wilde fowle ynogh.		Wild fowl enough
VJxx. galons melke.		6 score (120) gallons milk
Xij. galons Creme.		12 gallons Cream
Xl. galons of Cruddes.		11 gallons of Curds
Ilj. bushel[3] of Appelles.	3 bushels of Apples
Xj. thousand egges.		11,000 eggs.

Harleian MS. 4016

The resultant feast, given for King Richard II by the Bishop of Durham, at
Durham House, London, on September 23rd, 1387:
The Third Course.
Potage. bruete of Almondes.
Stwde lumbarde.
Venyson rosted.