SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jun 14 08:39:16 PDT 2000

At 8:15 AM -0600 6/14/00, UnruhBays, Melanie A wrote:
>So, how does one re-educate SCA event-goers to get them to accept - even
>anticipate - a more period feast. One that runs all day with breaks for
>dancing or fighting or court, or one with dozens of foods, so that diners
>don't necessarily get a chance to eat from each one?
>
>My best idea is a small (<50) "over-the-top" feast, that probably costs the
>attendees somewhere around $25 each. The pros are that the handful of people
>who would really appreciate such an event would be there. The cons are that
>the actual number of people who you expose to this is very small, and that
>the cost becomes prohibitive if there's more than two people from one family
>who attend.

You are assuming that such a feast would cost much more to put on
than an ordinary one. Why? Having dozens of dishes is a lot of work,
but since the total amount of food people eat is more or less limited
by the size of the stomach, the cost of ingredients isn't much more
than for a simpler feast.

In any case, you could do an entirely authentic meal, say one of Le
Menagier's, with fewer dishes than some of the fancier feasts that
get done now.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/