SC - Poppa's mustard (recipe #1 - Platina red)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 15 04:34:39 PDT 2000

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:
> In Le Menagier there is a suggestion that you "put the mustard-seed to
> soak overnight in good vinegar, then have it ground fine in a mill",
> which would indicate that soaking first is ok. When I tried the Platina
> mustard I ground the mustard with one of the "cannon ball" and wooden
> bowl combos. The sticky mess was first chopped coarsely, and then worked
> in a mortar until more or less smooth.

A key phrase is ". . . and have it ground".  Not begging any questions
since I, too, ground my first couple of mustard flours, but it is quite
apropos to get pre ground mustard flour to use as ingredient since the
spicers in much of medieval Europe would have been doing the grinding
for us.  I use a Corona mill that you can find in some hispanic shops.
It uses two rotating plates to grind corn, barley malt, mustard seed,
etc.  Then bolt or sieve it to remove large husks and grains.  repeat as
needed.

niccolo