SC - questions

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 11:07:40 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 5:06:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
ddfr at best.com writes:

> My best idea is a small (<50) "over-the-top" feast, that probably costs the
>  >attendees somewhere around $25 each. The pros are that the handful of
> people
>  >who would really appreciate such an event would be there. The cons are
that
>  >the actual number of people who you expose to this is very small, and that
>  >the cost becomes prohibitive if there's more than two people from one
> family
>  >who attend.
>
>  You are assuming that such a feast would cost much more to put on
>  than an ordinary one. Why? Having dozens of dishes is a lot of work,
>  but since the total amount of food people eat is more or less limited
>  by the size of the stomach, the cost of ingredients isn't much more
>  than for a simpler feast.

Another way, to cut the cost of such a feast, which I've used and the idea
was given to me by someone who uses it for all her feasts, is to have someone
"sponser" a particular portion of the meal. Say you want to have a really
rich, decadent dessert but the ingredients are expensive--or you are
approached to try to incoporate another dish that you are not sure you can
afford but very period and will look really good as well--then you let the
person who approached you sponser the dish, buy the ingredients and help put
together in the kitchen. We had a feast that should have cost in the
neighborhood of $15-18 per person for coronation, but by using this method we
were able to cut the cost to $8.50 per person. It can sometimes do the trick.

Lars