SC - questions

Phil Anderson phil at spis.co.nz
Thu Jun 15 16:49:05 PDT 2000

Balthazar writes:

> > I'd like to suggest a rule of thumb: [...]
>
> This sounds good, but then we have to ask "who's idea of "reasonable" are
> we talking about?"

I suspect this topic has moved on in the last couple of days, but I'll
try to answer anyway:

That's a fair question, but unfortunately the answer is rather fuzzy -
"reasonable" can vary quite a bit depending on the circumstances
and, as you note, individual views of "reasonable" vary...

In general, I actually tend to expect a higher average standard of
authenticity in food at a formal feast than in garb: _everyone_ has to
come up with garb, whether interested in sewing or not, whereas
only those with _some_ interest in cooking are likely to be running
feasts. Further, no one is likely to need to organise a feast at their
first event, but they will need clothes at that stage.

Now, sure, sometimes feast stewards may not have access to any
suitable sources or, more likely, may not know where to look. In
such cases, it's not fair to judge harshly no matter how keen I am on
authenticity. But I do expect them to make an _effort_ to find out
something about mediaeval food, even if it's only as far as "potatoes,
tomatoes and sweetcorn are American".

> I have done very, very reasonable attempts at medieval
> food in the past, but would be willing to bet they would not fly on this
> list, since none of them are "documentable".

I'm genuinely curious as to how you decided what to cook. What did
you know about mediaeval cuisine at the time, and what did you try
to find out before setting a menu?

Personally, I'm not a very experienced cook, but when doing my first
feast I did have the advantages of knowing there were sources
available, having a local library with several decent books with
worked-out versions of mediaeval recips, being Internet-savvy and
having some book- buying money. I'm not at the stage where I would
feel comfortable trying to replicate proper period menus, but I have
no need to ever serve an individual dish not based on period