SC - on overspicing in the new middle ages

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 19:48:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 2:13:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

<<  It still had a heavenly lamb taste to it, and was better
 than i have gotten at some rather spiff and expensive restaurents!]
 margali >>

I am sure that Puck's sauce was excellent. I would never have had him cook at
a feast of mine if he were not. What I question is the idea that sauces and
spices during the SCA period were used to 'enhance' the flavor of the main
ingredient. Such a concept is a modern culinary concept. The cooking of
Southern India is most like medieval cookery so far as overall flavor. The
use of spices and sauces to take many flavors and combine them to form a
SINGLE new flavor. That is what I see medieval cookery as trying to achieve.

Ras