SC - questions/kinda long, sorry

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 18:36:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/16/00 12:52:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
KallipygosRed at aol.com writes:

<< We were told that
 although membership grows, renewals have fallen off.  >>

Certainly on a purely modern, administrative level membership  is a top
priority. Locally, membership is on again, off again. Older members tend to
let their membership lapse for years at a time, renewing it as needed to hold
specific offices and new members tend to be official 'members' until they no
longer feel that they need the 'official' publications to spur them along.

There are several reasons for this but the main redone is the unusually high
annual membership fees compared with most recreation groups. Membership is
indulged in when offices are taken because it is a 'requirement' to hold
office. Of the 120 plus members our shire has only a small fraction are
acutely dues paying members. All are settled family, career oriented people
and stable in the community. Our student membership is minimal and to all
intent and purposes nonexistence. Transitory members are nonexistent.

Ras