SC - Poppa's mustard

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jun 17 08:30:55 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/17/00 4:50:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< I am sure that Ras will want to comment as
 well.  >>

Not really. But I will. :-)

I have met people in the trade that claimed to be able to pinpoint the
vineyard that a particular grape came from by 'tasting the earth' in the
grape. Outstanding sommeliers also appear to have this ability. The soil
makes the grape. The same variety grown in different soils will display
different flavors, flinty, steely, earthy, barnyard, etc. White grapes
exhibit herbaceous flavors differently on different types of soil parsley,
celery, grassy come to mind. chardonnay grapes may taste of apricots, apples,
citrus depending on the soil they are grown on. These are the characteristics
that make vintning, wine tasting and service an art form. These
characteristics are what make wines produced from the same grape variety
grown a hundred yards apart taste like 2 different wines.

Ras