SC - questions

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jun 17 08:58:49 PDT 2000

Jadwiga,

These are good questions, and I'll try to give you my answer.  If a
recipe is written down in period, then we KNOW that someone, in that time
and place, did, or thought of doing, that recipe.  Liked it well enough
to write it down.  From other sources, and from comparing recipe
collections, we know that they traveled from noble house to noble house,
and copied each others' recipes.  Collections of recipes were
occasionally sent to friends--i.e., Lord A, to impress Count B, might
well send a nice manuscript as a gift.

There are written accounts of feasts and banquets, although not near as
detailed as we'd like, and some other written sources on how to carve,
how to serve, what were considered good manners, etc.

There are some excellent secondary sources, as well as OK, and also, sad
to say, downright awful.  However, to really understand what they are
talking about, you first need to know what was being cooked, and that's
in the recipes.  My personal favorite author for a secondary source is
Terence Scully--until Master A. publishes a book of all he knows--but I
understand Scully a lot better when I am somewhat familiar with the
recipes he's talking about.  You need to 'get a feel' for that cooking.
Read, read, read, then cook, cook, cook.  Then, study the secondary
sources.

You still can't be absolutely sure that you could substitute ingredients
as a medieval cook would, or that your original dish is something that a
medieval cook would recognize, and say, "Yeah, verily, that is how 'tis
done!"  Some of us who study this field are only interested in
reproducing the originals.  Some of us like to create our own versions,
even to cook in what we *believe to be* the right style.  Some are much
more casual in their approach to what they cook for themselves, or
friends, or a feast.  You will have to decide that for yourself.
However, as Ras is fond of pointing out, it's a lot better to get into
good habits right from the start.  That's why we send you first to the
recipes.

Most beginning historical cooks are somewhat daunted by the current
wealth of information, and sometimes conflicting theories.  Recipes are
easier to deal with, especially those that are already redacted, with
notes on how and why, by experienced cooks.  First you learn the basics,
then you begin to experiment, then you gain confidence, and then you're
off and running!

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com