SC - Poppa's mustard (recipe #1 - Platina red)

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sun Jun 18 20:47:46 PDT 2000

>> Is the iron ball and bowl period or later?<<

Can't say about the iron ball, burt archeologists have found plenty of
ball-shaped stones and hollowed stones to be the grinding surface, so the
procedure goes back to pre-historic times.  Your question would be "When
do people with iron making capability begin forming round balls?"  Or
check the beginnings of cannon making, which I think was in Italy late
15th C.

If you soak the mustard seed first, it would be easier to grind.  Messy,
but easier.  Considering that medieval kitchens--except possibly those in
cities with various facilities available (spicers, butchers, bakers,
etc.)--dealt with all the foodstuffs from scratch, I don't think that
'messy' entered into their thinking.  Of course, it was messy.
Depending on the extent of your kitchen staff, you would have an
assistant do it if you had one.

I've been told that 'must' is the crushed grapes, et al, which begin the
wine making process, but I don't know for sure that that was the 'must'
mentioned in medieval cookery.  Probably was the strained stuff.
Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com