SC - SC honey strawberry spread

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 19 05:17:03 PDT 2000

I did something similar recently for a feast, only I used walnuts.  The recipe
came from Scully's Early French Cookery, and was called "Confiture de Noiz" as
follows:

Confiture de noiz

Prenez avant la saint Jehan noiz nouvelles et les pelez et perciez et mectez en
eaue freshce tremper par .ix. jour, et chacun jour renoivellez l’eaue, puis les
laisser secer et emplez les pertuiz de cloz de giroffle et de gingembre et
mectez boulir en miel et illec les laissiez en conserve. – (Menagier de Paris
from Early French Cookery, Scully).

Yield—about 2 cups

Redaction—by Scully

1 cup liquid honey
10 - 15 whole cloves
2 Tbsp. finely sliced slivers of fresh ginger
8 oz whole or halved (or large pieces) walnuts

1.  Combine honey and spices over low heat.
2.  Let spices marinate in warm honey for 5 - 10 minutes.
3.  Add walnuts and bring to a boil.
4.  Cook, stirring occasionally until honey reaches soft ball stage.
5.  Spoon out walnuts (include some cloves & ginger), and set them to cool and
harden on tinfoil.
6.  Store in tightly sealed container.

VERY tasty!  And, as these were part of a dessert table served during the Grand
Ball, a very good kind of finger food.

Kiri