SC - teaching technique - nonmember submission

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 19 08:23:12 PDT 2000

At 9:45 AM -0500 6/19/00, Michael F. Gunter wrote:

>As a professional teacher I find
>it
>far more effective to entice my students to learn by being an effective
>comunicator and motivator while providing them with sufficient resources
>do so than to force information down their throats.

Perhaps I missed it, but who has been arguing for forcing information
down someone's throat?

>There are many people in this world, many here
>where
>I work, many within the Society and even <GASP!> several right here in
>River
>City who feel that proper teaching techniques are simply copmprised of
>"I
>said it, therefore it must be true as I am the experienced one.  Any who
>
>disagree with me are obviously misinformed charlatans.

That sounds like an argument in favor of sending people to primary
sources instead of to secondary sources, since that way they can
decide what is true for themselves, instead of depending on the
judgement of others. Was that your point?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/