SC - kitchen in a krak

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 21 21:58:26 PDT 2000

Brandu mentioned:

> Stefan wrote:
> > My comment was simply to mention that to get coals, at some point, you
> > have to have flames. That assuming you only had coals is not a complete
> > solution.
> You need flames, but...
> Not necessarily in the same place.
>
> A very common occupation throughout period and right up to the
> beginning of the 20th century is Charcoaler.
>
> <snip>
>
> The use of charcoal for fuel would have eliminated all sparking,
> popping and uncontrolled burning, and allowed a shorter chimney
> stack, just as was posited earlier.

Yes, I had forgotten all about this possibility. I've been thinking
charcoal was primarily of commercial use, but I imagine it was used
in domestic fires also, even if it was more expensive. I seem to
remember various complaints about coal (both dug up and sea coal)
when it began to be used in houses. While I believe this was mostly
in Scotland and such areas that were short of timber, I can see
charcoal being used prior to this and in other countries.

For those unaware of the charcoal burning, this was the prime fuel
used in iron work and by latter period it was often difficult to find
good timber in England because the land had been so deforrested by
cutting it for charcoal. There were laws defining how close charcoalers
could operate to each other because of this.

For those interested in more on charcoal in period, there is this
file in the COMMERCE section of my files:
charcoal-msg      (17K) 10/ 4/99    Use and making of charcoal in period.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net