SC - Re: Kuskenole, a question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 22 18:26:43 PDT 2000

RuddR at aol.com wrote:

> What is the cressee recipe?  What medieval recipe collection is it in?   Is
> there really an illustration that goes with it?  Where can I find this
> source?  I'd be interested in seeing this material.

Constance Hieatt and Robin Jones, "Two Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections
Edited from British Library Manuscripts Additional 32085 and Royal
12.C.xii", Speculum v. 61, October 1986, pp 859-882.

The original recipes are in 13th-century French, with an English
translation by Hieatt and Jones. Here's what it sez for cressee,
translated from Add. 32085 :

"5. Cressee [crisscross of noodles]. Here is another dish, which is
called cresee.Take best white flour and eggs, and make pasta dough, and
in the pasta dough put fine, choice ginger and sugar. Take half of the
pastry, (which is or should be) colored with saffron, and half (which is
or should be) white, and roll it out on a table to the thickness of your
finger; then cut it into strips, then cut it into strips the size of a
piece of lath; stretch it out on a table as illustrated [see diagram,
one color is presumably to be crossed over the other]; then boil in
water; then take a slotted spoon and remove the cressees from the water;
then arrange them on, and cover them with, grated cheese, add butter or
oil, and serve."

The diagram is a rectangular grid 4 squares high by eight wide.

> Rudd Rayfield
>
> P. S.  I have my own opinions as to what Cuskynoles look like, but I promise
> I'll never tell.

Come, come now! Are you Whig or Tory? Blue or Leek Green? Guelph or
Gi... Gi... that other thing? Not telling, huh? Wuss! ;  ) Whassamatta,
afraid we're gonna be mean to you? Why, I oughtta...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com