SC - Currant history (Was Currants vs Zante raisins) Long

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 19:53:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/00 10:49:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

<< I hope that we can eventually come to agreement and
 collaborate on a useful paper or something.  I apologize
 if my clumsy attempts have been unclear on this subject to
 both you and Ras.

 Akim Yaroslavich >>

>From your descriptive letter, I don't think we have any disagreement per se.
Whether currants (Ribes) were used extensively in early modern cookery really
is of little interest to me but your arguments supporting your position
appear to be very persuasive in that context. Most certainly they were not
used extensively, if at all, in medieval cookery (before 1450 CE). I had
thought you were trying to apply information dating from 1575 CE as a basis
for assuming that that information was true before that date. Obviously I was
mistaken.

I am aware of your knowledge in both horticulture and botany, and think of it
as at least equivalent to my own in most areas and, of course, surpasses me
in other areas. We have had several very enlightening discussions in the past
in those fields and hopefully will have many more. :-).

Ras
NOTE: Also my apologies for quoting the text I did as yours if it were not. I
rarely if ever read the source of a post, preferring to judge the post on
it's content. The originator of any particular post is of little or no
importance to me in this forum. private posts are a different matter. To
avoid confusion in the future, bear in mind that the quoted text itself is
the basis for my comments and not the poster. If a person includes material
that was taken from another post but does not list the originator, my posts
always show the source of the post where I noticed the 'quote' first. Not the
person that actually wrote it.