SC - RE: SC- Mistranslation I have a Theory

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 22 21:26:52 PDT 2000

Bogdan writes:Salut!
sound a heck of a lot meaner than we really are.  Goyim does NOT translate
to Cattle.  It is taken straight from Hebrew where it means Nations.  The
reason that it is used in a derogatory manner is that the Jews have
historically never been allowed to be part of the nation in which they
lived, often kept apart.  Therefore it was through envious longing that
goyim became the negative term that it is today.  You have no idea how
hard it was to get that idea across to the 7th graders I teach at
religious school. ("What's wrong with being part of a nation?  I don't get
it..."<<<<

Sorry about that.  Apparently bad source.
If you have a problem with it, take it up with
Leo Frankowski.  I took it from a book of his I had
read and as he is in the SCA, I assumed he would not
be using anything desultory.   I was just using something
from what I had at hand that seemed reasonable. My
grandmother was named Esther Diamond, so why would
I deliberately do such a thing?

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"