SC - Honeycomb (confectionary) - question to the list

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 09:48:08 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

> So this is what is sold at Irish country fairs under the name Yellow
> Man? A hard-crack sugar and/or honey syrup that is carbonated as it
> cools? Bubbly hard candy?

> Adamantius

"Crunchy" as we call it in Britain is sold as in the shape of a long thinnish
bar (square if seen end on) of this honeycomb "stuff" covered with milk
chocolate.  Cross cut, it is yellow, solid, firmish on the dry and crunchy
rather than chewy side and is slightly crumbly.  It has some variations of
the yellow colouring through it, and the composition of it generally looks
like tiny to extremely tiny sticky dried bubbles or a sticky dense dried
foam.  If you bite it it quickly disintegrates to a honey toffee flavour and
it coats your teeth and is hard to come off (I can see it pulling a loose
filing out with it).

It tastes of honey.... and it's yummy - but very sweet :-)

I'm wondering how close it is to kracknel - or is that something totally
different?

Elysant