SC - parchment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 24 23:02:21 PDT 2000

Huette asked:
> - --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > I doubt it. parchment was expensive. Expensive
> > enough that sometimes
> > old manuscripts were abraded off and the parchment
> > reused.
>
> Are you sure that you mean parchment?  It would be
> very difficult to abrade paper.  Or do you really mean
> vellum?  Most of the manuscripts that I know about
> were written on vellum, which is kid skin, or lamb
> skin or calf skin and much easier to abrade.

No, I definitely meant parchment as in treated animal skin. Technically
one type of skin is vellum and the other is parchment. I can't remember
which is which off the top of my head. Sometimes parchment is used as a
generic term to mean both, which is how I was using it.

I think what you are thinking of is paper that is meant to resemble
parchment or perhaps the cooking parchment stuff which I think is
paper. It definitely is not skin.

For more on parchment, check this file in the SCRIBAL ARTS section
of the Florilegium:
parchment-msg     (64K) 11/17/98    Making and buying parchment. substitutes.

There is also this rather small file on paper:
paper-msg          (7K)  8/19/97    Medieval paper. Sources for similar paper.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net