SC - Payn Ragoun - 2 redactions

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 05:34:08 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/26/2000 1:24:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au writes:

<< "Payn Ragoun PD (131)
 "Take hony and sugur cipre and clarifie it togydre, and boile it with esy
 fyre, and kepe it wel fro brennyng. And wha it hath yboiled a while, take up
 a drope perof wip py fyngur and do in a litel water, and loke it if hong
 togydre; and take it fro the fyre and do perto pynes the thriddendele &
 powdour gyngever, and stere it togyder til it bygynne to thik, and cast it
 on a wete table; lesh it and serve forth with fryed mete, on flessh dayes or
 on fyssshe dayes."

 This is her redaction:

 1/2 cup honey
 1/2 cup sugar
 2 tsp. ginger ground. >>

This redaction clearly leaves out the pine nuts called for in the original
("do therto pynes").  I would assume that that would be the missing
ingredient in the second version (obviously a scribal error).
Personally, because the recipe clearly states to use ginger and doesn't
mention any other spice, I'd be wary of substituting others and saying it was
definitely period.  An adaptation of a period recipe, yes, but I can't be
sure that it was ever made with cinnamon or nutmeg in period.

Brangwayna Morgan